We are seeking motivated individuals, who are committed to excellence and are experienced in working with primary and secondary school students. Westat is recruiting for the 2013 National Assessment of Educational Progress, also known as NAEP or The Nation's Report Card, for the National Center for Education Statistics, which is part of the U.S. Department of Education. The position involves conducting assessment sessions with 4th-, 8th-, and 12th-grade students in participating schools across the country. Each session lasts approximately 90 minutes, and involves about 30 students. You will work on a team but will conduct some sessions alone. This opportunity is ideal for retired educators.
Your duties will include:
* Preparing assessment materials and assessment locations,
* Checking student attendance,
* Reading directions aloud to the students from a prepared script,
* Monitoring the sessions,
* Answering student questions using prepared guidelines,
* Collecting completed assessment materials, and
* Preparing completed materials for shipping.
NAEP provides complete paid training for all job responsibilities, paid time and mileage reimbursement for local driving to and from schools, weekly paychecks by direct deposit or debit card, and opportunities for advancement based on performance.
Qualified applicants should:
* Be fluent in English (persons speaking fluent English and Spanish are encouraged to apply),
* Be detail-oriented,
* Have the ability to work effectively on a diverse team,
* Be able to work with students in a classroom setting,
* Be willing to submit fingerprints for a required FBI background check,
* Have the ability to lift a box weighing 15 pounds and carry it up the stairs with or without a reasonable accommodation,
* Have a valid (current) driver's license that is not under suspension and regular access to an insured, reliable vehicle in order to travel to and from schools,
* Be available to work 20 to 30 hours a week, during daytime hours, from January 28 to March 8, 2013, and
* Be available to attend a local one-day training session between January 2 and January 25, 2013.